Travel Day! I think I have used every form of public transportation in an effort to reach Echternauch, Luxembourg.
Starting at 6am and arriving at about 6:30pm, I thought I’d give a few tips for traveling while pregnant.
- Walking Shoes: Bring good walking shoes that are black or brown so they still match all of your outfits, but you can walk without your feet killing at the end of the day.
- Pressure Socks: If you deal with swelling, you can ask your doctor if pressure socks should be used or not. I haven’t dealt with this personally, but I have read that they are helpful.
- Medical Record: Ask your doctor for your medical record just in case something goes wrong and you need to make an appointment.
- Snacks: Bring plenty of snacks. My personal favorite are protein bars, granola bars, all-natural fruit snacks and of course some candy. You may want to consider bringing nuts and a meat option like beef jerky. Do not skimp on this, there is not always time between transportation modes to grab something to eat. I always make sure I have 3-4 snacks in my purse at all times regardless of what I am going to do that day.
- Loose Clothing: You will be in small seats and spaces while traveling so you want to be as comfortable as possible. I brought several layers: loose coat, light scarf, pants with a waist line that don’t suffocate you when you sit down, a tank top and a light sweater. One thing I had not thought of was that the bras I brought with me had an underwire in them and after a while it starts to hurt where it touches your stomach.
- Hotel: When booking your room, make sure to get a room with a personal bathroom and shower. Yes, Europe sells rooms without them 😉 After a long day of walking, you will NEED to have a spa night.
- Don’t forget your prenatal vitamins!
Also, take it easy. I tend to go, go, go, but now that I am pregnant I have been setting a less-vigorous schedule of things I’d like to see. I pick one or two main things and then a wish list of tourist sites I want to see if I have time and still feel good. I have to admit, when I have gotten tired at the end of the day I start walking back to the hotel and just stop at little shops that look interesting. It was fun because I found a few clothing items I could actually wear and grow into and then the most adorable baby clothes as well. Sooo cute!